This course provides a general introduction to emerging respiratory viruses, including novel coronaviruses. By the end of this course, you should be able to describe:
- The nature of emerging respiratory viruses, how to detect and assess an outbreak, strategies for preventing and controlling outbreaks due to novel respiratory viruses;
- What strategies should be used to communicate risk and engage communities to detect, prevent and respond to the emergence of a novel respiratory virus.
There are resources attached to each module to help you dive further into this topic.
Learning objective: Describe the fundamental principles of emerging respiratory viruses and how to effectively respond to an outbreak.
Course duration: Approximately 1 hour.
Certificates: A Record of Achievement certificate will be available to participants who score at least 80% of the total points available across all of the quizzes.
As the official disease name was established after material creation, any mention of nCoV refers to COVID-19, the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus.
- Student Walk through
- Introduction to Emerging respiratory viruses, including COVID-19
- Test your learning
- When and how to use a Fabric Mask
- Cleaning hands with soap and water
- Drying Hands
- Soap and Water demo
- Quiz: Practice with Soap and water
- Cleaning hands with alcohol-based handrub (ABHR)
- Alcohol-based handrub (ABHR) demo
- Quiz: Practice with alcohol-based handrub (ABHR)
- Facilities without running water
- Additional considerations
- Importance of Social (Physical) distancing explained
- The Foot and Elbow bump greeting?
- How-to-guide for putting on and removing PPE according to contact precautions for COVID-19
- COVID-19 : South African Resource Portal
- Test your learning
- Module C: Community Engagement
- Module C: Quiz
- Lesson 1- How COVID-19 spreads in the workplace
- Lesson 2 - How to manage COVID-19 risk when organizing meetings & events
- Lesson 3 - Things to consider when you and your employees travel
- Lesson 4 - Getting your workplace ready in case COVID-19 arrives in your community
- More resources for you